April 25, 2024, 07:02:16 AM

Author Topic: Idea - Alternative Sentry deployment  (Read 3294 times)

Offline Brad

Idea - Alternative Sentry deployment
« on: August 24, 2011, 11:45:51 PM »
Just an idea I had as an alternative to the standard Sentry deployment rules.  It's not meant to replace them - that is to say, I don't believe this is "better" than the rules as written.  It's merely something different to try.

Nominate one of the table edges as North.  The remaining edges will be East, South and West as appropriate.

The defender divides his gang as evenly as possible into four groups.  For example, if the gang contains thirteen models, three groups will contain three fighters and the fourth group will contain four fighters.  Each group must be assigned a direction – North, South etc.  This is done without the attacker knowing which models are in which group.

The attacker now nominates which direction he will attack from – North, East, South or West.  The defender deploys the corresponding group of fighters as per the scenario guidelines.  The remainder of his gang are not deployed immediately but may become available as reinforcements during the course of the game if the scenario allows.  The attacker then deploys as per the scenario rules.

Whatcha think?

Offline SharkForce

• Lurker
Re: Idea - Alternative Sentry deployment
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 06:27:15 PM »
seems like this could potentially really limit smaller gangs. i mean, if you have 5 people (which afaict is the standard spyrers gang for example), you're going to wind up only getting one person the vast majority of the time. on the other hand, it really favors larger gangs (most likely to be outlanders or outlaw gangs)... someone with a gang of 20 fighters will consistently get 5 people to defend, and will be much better off than smaller gangs.

this mostly becomes "problematic" if those scenarios are typically used specifically because of the die rolls; a relatively small gang going up against a huge redemptionist gang can use a scenario where the redemptionists don't get to bring as much of their gang to bear, but if they get to bring essentially the max roll or better every time (it's not too hard to grow a redemptionist gang over 24, and the usual rolls that i've seen tend to max out at 5-6) that advantage is somewhat lost...