March 29, 2024, 07:40:13 AM

Author Topic: Advanced Heroquest and Heroquest Combined  (Read 7356 times)

Offline Irisado

• Soñando debajo del arco iris
    • Loc: Nottingham, UK
    • 40K Online
Advanced Heroquest and Heroquest Combined
« on: November 25, 2011, 11:20:39 PM »
Okay, in an attempt to perhaps generate a bit of discussion down at this end of the board, I was wondering if anyone has ever played Advanced Heroquest using the Heroquest board and missions?  This is something that I've done with a number of people, and it works quite well, although some rules have to be modified for it to work.

My thought was that this thread could be used to discuss development for both games, i.e. different house rules, if anyone has made improvements to the core rules (I know about Greywolf's website before anyone mentions it  ;)), and talk about favourite missions, memorable campaigns, and anything else constructive relating to the two games.

I appreciate that this quite a broad scope, but I'm trying to appeal to as many people as possible, at least to start with, as I'm really not sure if anyone actually even reads this board any more, so I just hope this is of interest to somebody.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline toco

• Loc: Belgium
    • Custom Epic 40K, Necromunda, ...
Re: Advanced Heroquest and Heroquest Combined
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 02:58:36 PM »
HeroQuest and Advanced HeroQuest have been combined in a streamlined rules set called "Allied HeroQuest". This extensive set of homerules is available at http://www.tocoking.be/ahq . The gameplay feels like HeroQuest and the visuals and options look/feel like Descent or Advanced HeroQuest.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 08:24:32 AM by toco »
http://www.tocoking.be/blog

Miniatures: converting, scenery, custom rules, ...

Offline Irisado

• Soñando debajo del arco iris
    • Loc: Nottingham, UK
    • 40K Online
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 03:26:29 PM »
Normally raising up threads from years ago is frowned upon (which is why I split your posts into new topics in the Epic board), but it's okay here, owing to the lack of activity in this.  Please do take note of how old topics are when you're posting in them in active boards though in the future :).

I've had a quick look through the rain rules and the Sir Ragnar quest book.  The presentation is first class.  Really excellent work there.  I am also very impressed with how you have transferred the quests on the Advanced Heroquest board.  This is something that I have never experimented with, and I am very impressed with your work.

I am a bit disappointed by one key aspect of the rules though, and that is the retention of the skull dice and the monster cards system.  Both of these restrict the monsters too much in my experience, especially the skull dice.  Even increasing the dice and the body points/wounds of the monsters does not compensate for the fact that only two in six faces of the dice will protect the monster, making things still too easy for the heroes, unless you pack rooms full of monsters, which impinges on the movement aspect of the game.  D12 combat opens up more options and is better all round in my experience.

Other than that though, this is great stuff, and I'm pleased to see that there are still some people who love to play this game :).
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline toco

« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 08:27:47 AM by toco »

Offline toco

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 10:51:34 AM »