April 19, 2024, 08:37:11 PM

Author Topic: Experimental Terrain: Coveyor Belts?  (Read 6954 times)

Offline StyrofoamKing

Experimental Terrain: Coveyor Belts?
« on: July 23, 2009, 10:30:48 PM »
<EDIT- COMPILED FROM THE ENTIRE THREAD BELOW>

I have a neat idea for a terrain feature.

CONVEYOR BELTS
All across the underhive are abandonned belts, transporting rock, slag, and barrels of toxic waste from one corner of the desolate waste to the other.  Some of these are still used for practical purposes, but it is not uncommon to see these forgotten systems and left behind, transporting crumbling machines to a forgotten location.

SET UP
During set up, place across the board several conveyor belts.  These can go from one of the board to another, across a small area, or even in a loop in the middle of the table.  It is recommended that the belt be at least 2-4 inches wide.  For convience, it is best to make belts marked with arrows to show which direction they are moving in.

HOW THEY WORK
At the end of each round, all models and small terrain pieces on the belt are transported 4" along the belt simultaneously.  If this pulls a model out of base contact with an opponent, no penalty is given to either side.

OPTION A: Payload
It is possible that the belt is still transporting its intended object at a routine rate.  If the belt starts at a building or off of the table, you may decide to have the belt carry payload.  In each round, after the belt and all objects upon in move 4", place a small object at the start of the belt. This can be a rock, a barrel, or anything your group comes up with.  During the next round, that placed object will move down the belt at a rate of 4", freeing up space for a new object to appear on the belt.  If you do, place several objects on the belt during game start up, roughly 4-8" inches apart.

OPTION B: Deathtrap
If you want to, you may set up a deathtrap at the end of the belt.  This can be a pit, a pool of acid, an incinerator, a pulverizer, anything you wish.  All models and terrain that fall or are pushed into it are immediately taken out of action.

OPTION C: Slag Injector
Place 2-4 machines (3" wide) along the belt, signifying injectors. These machines drop waste, liquid metal, or acid onto the open belt.  In recent years, the containers they once dropped this liquid into have dissappeared, but that doesn't mean it won't scald any ganger stupid enough to get caught under it!  At the end of the round, after the belt moves, if any ganger is caught directly underneath a Slag Injector, roll 1D6: on a 4+, the injector does not drop any dangerous liquid this turn.  On a 1-3, place a Grenade Template directly underneath the machine. All models underneath it are hit with a S5, Damage 1 attack with -2 Save.

OPTION D: Assembly Arms - by Ravendas & Styro
The old assembly arms still continue drilling, sawing, and pressing, long after the factory has died.  Mark at several points (2-5) along the belt the 'assembly' machines, each marked by a machine approximately 1-2" wide.  At any time a ganger moves or is moved through the assembly arms, the ganger must take an intiative test or be hit by a S4 hit, -1 armor save.  Note, that this happens for each assembly arm the model passes through, and unlike the smelting injector, the ganger merely has to pass through the arms, rather than stopping on them.

OPTION E: Explosive Cargo! (from the Mordheim Scenario 'Gunpowder Plot', by the Ryn Tyrr Guild)
The drums or payload that travel down the runway are explosive.

If a barrel is hit, on a 5+, the barrel will explode ... add +1 if it was hit with a flame attack, an explosion (like a grenade), a plasma gun, or a melta-gun.  Hand to hand attacks will automatically hit, but will have a -1 to explode unless the user is wielding a 'power' weapon.

Put that light out: If a model spends his combat phase in base contact with a barrel without fighting he may put a match to it. The barrel will explode immediately on a D6 roll of 6. Roll again at the end of each player's turn reducing the score needed by one each time. If he is still in base contact when it blows the poor fool who set the fuse may make an initiative test to move out of base contact and avoid the worst of the blast but still suffers damage as if within 3" of the blast.

Exploding: The model that was carrying the barrel or in base contact with the barrel takes a S6 hit causing D3 wounds (with criticals if applicable) and any other model within 3" take a single S4 hit. Furthermore any barrels within 3" of an exploding barrel are considered to have been hit (roll to see if they explode, using the rules above.)

Carrying a Barrel:A model moves at normal speed and may run while carrying a barrel, but not charge (but see below). Carrying a barrel is risky; see the Special Rules below for the effects. The model may put the barrel down at any point during their move. He may continue to move after putting the barrel down (if he has sufficient movement left) but if he does so, he is considered to have dropped the barrel. If the model is charged he must put the barrel down in order to defend himself. If a model is in combat and all of his opponents are knocked down or stunned then he may choose to pick up the barrel and move away at the beginning of his next turn instead of continuing the combat.

Models may not climb up or down whilst carrying a barrel it is much too bulky. Ladders are considered difficult ground when carrying a barrel and may be traversed at half speed. Carrying a barrel is a risky business. At the end of their move, roll a D6 for each model carrying the barrel. If they moved normal distance, on a 1 they have dropped it. If they ran then they will drop it on a 1 or 2. Oops...

OPTION F  : Hook System - by Ravendas
A system similar to the belt, but rather than running along the ground, it consists of a chain & hook system running from one tall surface to another.  Another similar idea could be a chain system up in the air, in a line between two points, with dangling chains/hooks for gangers to grab onto. They could take you from one lofty area to another. The caveat is that only pistols may be fire while dangling, and if you get shot, you must take an immediate Initiative test or fall, even if the shot failed to injure.  It is recommended the Hook System be used with the 'Belt Speed & Control Box' Option (see below).

OPTION G: Belt Speed & Control Box - by Ravendas & Styro
The belt has three settings: Normal, Maximum speed, and Off.

Normal speed: The belt runs at a steady 4" each round, with no penalty for moving on or off of them.  Unless the scenario specifically says so, all belts start at Normal Speed.  The belt will continue at Normal speed until the speed is changed at the control box, or the control box is destroyed.

Maximum Speed: At the end of each round, the belt moves a random 2D6" inches.  This signifies the shakey machinary wheezing and surging under the broken gears.  The belt will continue at Maximum speed until the speed is changed at the control box, or the control box is destroyed.
Any model who is off of the belt that wishes to climb onto the belt must first take an initiative test. If the model passes, he has climbed onto the belt safely, and may continue his move as normal.  If the I test is failed, the ganger is moved onto the belt, but stumbles and falls onto it. The rest of the ganger's move is lost, and he may not shoot, throw, or go into overwatch during the shooting phase.  Likewise, any model attempting to move off of the belt must take an Initiative test. If passed, they may move like normal, but if failed, the rest of the move is wasted and they may do nothing during the shooting phase.

Off: When a belt is turned off, it will not move at all at the end of the each round.  The belt will stay Off until the speed is changed at the control box.  When any of the control boxes are destroyed, the belt will turn Off for the rest of the scenario (or, if already Off, will stay off.)

Control Box: At the start of the game, set up on the board 2-3 'Control Boxes' on the board.  These are the locations on the board that control the speed of the belt, and any model that ends his movement phase in base contact with a control box and is not engaged in hand-to-hand combat can turn it to any of the following settings: Normal Speed, Maximum Speed, or Off.  A control can be one of the two following sizes (the same belt may have several boxes, of various sizes.)  Once a box has been destroyed, all boxes will be destroyed, and the belt is broken for the rest of the scenario.

LARGE BOX: This represents a computer panel, or a massive refrigerator-sized machine that runs the entire belt.  It is at +1 to hit with missiles (for being a large target), but has T5 and 2 Wounds. All hits in hand to hand hit automatically.  (Note: This can also used to represent a power station... it can't control the belt speed, but destroying it will also turn the belt off.)

SMALL BOX:  This represents a small power box, or a post-mounted control unit that is connected to the master control.  It is at -1 to hit with missiles (small target), but has only T4 and 1 Wounds. All hits in hand to hand hit automatically.

SCENARIO IDEAS: Save the Girl!
Of course, it also lends itself to a scenario based on the old villany cliche.  The young ganger/gunmoll has been tied up, and is slowly making her way down the belt to her certain doom! Can our heroes save her in time? Find out, next Gaming Night!

CONSTRUCTION: BUILDING A BELT TERRAIN
The belt: Well, my first instinct was to have a non mechanical belt, consisting of a rubber ribbon running from one end of the table to the other.  There would be at least 2-3' extra slack on the 'starting' end, so the ribbon could be physically pulled towards the 'end' of the table, taking everything with it.

Material: Well, I was thinking about buying a rubber mat, cutting it into strips, and stapling them together.  When in doubt, a stroll through the Hardware store is always inspiring.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 03:55:18 AM by StyrofoamKing »

Offline Ravendas

Re: Experimental Terrain: Coveyor Belts?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 12:48:59 AM »
I actually like this idea so much, that I've been trying to find the materials here to make an actual moving one. I've got the electronics part down, but I just need a couple of spools, and the belt material itself. My rules were going to be "Push the power button for d3 seconds at the end of each turn". A random number both so people couldn't plan very well for it, and to represent a broken, jerky conveyor belt.

However I hadn't thought of the death traps. Those are really interesting! With that, you could use a conveyor belt to go quite a bit faster, but if someone did manage to down you on it, you might get dragged to your doom.

I think certain areas that could represent old bits of machinery, with random pistons pounding and buzzsaws flying, that demanded initiative checks to dodge the machinery would be pretty interesting too. See: Any old loony tunes cartoon for ideas.

Offline StyrofoamKing

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 04:09:47 AM »
Funny that you had the same idea.  As I mentioned on another forum, this is my first stint with Sci-fi rather than fantasy, so my head's opening up anything that is more appropriate in a industrial setting (and also copying things I see from video games and movies... the thunderdome and the gravity lift will come soon enough...)

The belt: Well, my first instinct was to have a non mechanical belt, consisting of a rubber ribbon running from one end of the table to the other.  There would be at least 2-3' extra slack on the 'starting' end, so the ribbon could be physically pulled towards the 'end' of the table, taking everything with it.

Different settings: That could work. Maybe you choose the setting? Choose a number 1-5", and belt moves that many inches? (may only be done by someone who started or ended their movement phase off of the belt, but adjacent to it.)  I think I might try a constant one, just so it adds to the strategy.  Timing a shot across an obstacle stricked belt to an opponent on the other side might be neat... or a ganger moving at a constant speed with an obstruction, to remain undetected.

Spools: What about tiny motorized cars? Take the tires off, you'd have a tank tread.

Material: Well, I was thinking about buying a rubber mat, cutting it into strips, and stapling them together.  When in doubt, a stroll through the Hardware store is always inspiring.

Hazards: I thought of one more... the drums could possibly be explosive. A shot might cause them to blow!

Deathtrap: Of course, it also lends itself to a scenario based on the old villany cliche.  The young ganger/gunmoll has been tied up, and is slowly making her way down the belt to her certain doom! Can our heroes save her in time? Find out, next Gaming Night!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 04:15:14 AM by StyrofoamKing »

Offline Ravendas

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 04:36:21 AM »
Oh, on the different settings. I was thinking that a conveyor belt might have a wire crossed somewhere so it's movement could be random, but if a player had a ganger at the control panel for the conveyor belt, he could control the speed (from full stop, up to 4" or whatever in either direction).

Another similar idea could be a chain system up in the air, in a line between two points, with dangling chains/hooks for gangers to grab onto. They could take you from one lofty area to another. The caveat is that only pistols may be fire while dangling, and if you get shot, you'll probably be falling for some damage.

I think it would be interesting to allow control panels for both of these. Either a person could control it's speed like above, or people could target it and try to destroy it to take the system out of operation. Say, Toughness 5 with 2 wounds or so?

Offline StyrofoamKing

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 04:55:23 AM »
I like.  How's this:

The belt has two settings:

OPTION D: Normal, and Maximum speed.

At Normal speed, the belt runs at a steady 4" each round, with no penalty for moving on or off of them.  Unless the scenario specifically says so, all belts start at Normal Speed.

A player in contact with a control box may increase the belt speed to Maximum Speed. At the end of each round, the belt moves a random 2D6" inches.  This signifies the shakey machinary wheezing and surging under the broken gears.  The belt will continue at Maximum speed until the speed is changed at the control box, or the control box is destroyed.

Any model who is off of the belt that wishes to climb onto the belt must first take an initiative test. If the model passes, he has climbed onto the belt safely, and may continue his move as normal.  If the I test is failed, the ganger is moved onto the belt, but stumbles and falls onto it. The rest of the ganger's move is lost, and he may not shoot, throw, or go into overwatch during the shooting phase.  Likewise, any model attempting to move off of the belt must take an Initiative test. If passed, they may move like normal, but if failed, the rest of the move is wasted and they may do nothing during the shooting phase.

OPTION E: Assembly Arms
The old assembly arms still continue drilling, sawing, and pressing, long after the factory has died.  Mark at several points along the belt the 'assembly' machines, each marked by a machine approximately 1-2" wide.  At any time a ganger moves or is moved through the assembly arms, the ganger must take an intiative test or be hit by a S4 hit, -1 armor save.  Note, that this happens for each assembly arm the model passes through, and unlike the smelting injector, the ganger merely has to pass through the arms, rather than stopping on them.

Chain system: could be fun.  I advise a clothespin to mark the progress of your ganger as he moves (he figured that one out during Sartosa -Mord campaign, with lots of climbing ladders.)

CONTROL BOX: Not sure the S/Wounds.  I definitely see in my head the tiny box, with -1 to hit a small target.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 04:57:01 AM by StyrofoamKing »

Offline Ravendas

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 05:35:34 AM »
CONTROL BOX: Not sure the S/Wounds.  I definitely see in my head the tiny box, with -1 to hit a small target.

For some reason it never occurred to me that a model could just 'set it and forget it', as far as conveyor speeds. Just push the lever all the way up and go! I like it.

For the control box, I was imagining a big computer panel in a small room, about the size of an office cubicle. That kind would be a bit tougher. A smaller one that is basically just a lever would be easier to break, but would compensate with the -1 to hit as you mention. Both would work well, just depends on how people want to model it.

Now I gotta dig through my bits and see what I've got to make one of these. I've had this little tamiya motor that I've been meaning to work into a piece of terrain, so I'll try to hook that up. I'm actually on vacation, and needed something to do, so I'll possibly work on this later!

Offline StyrofoamKing

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 03:53:03 AM »
Compiled the rules together, added the explosive barrel, and reposted them all at the top of the thread.

Offline Ravendas

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 01:29:14 PM »
I haven't posted this in awhile, but I'd like to say that I've been working on my mechanical conveyor belt. I've got that little motor running, with the rotating bar coming out either side of it, with a few wheels from an IG tank's treads modified to fit onto the bars. This one motor will let me make two conveyor belts, either side by side or staggered, so one starts next to the other's end. I'd supply pictures but I'm on vacation at the moment, nowhere near my models (Sadly).

I've gotten the suggestion of using a strip of foamcore, scored through 2 of the 3 layers every quarter inch, as the actual belt for it. I could glue crates and boxes directly to this strip, and make the sides of the conveyor belt solid so you can't see under it. This way, there will be objects on the belt that automatically come back around, no need to fiddle around with loose pieces, and no one would see the silliness underneath! Now I just need to figure out how to make the plastic tank wheels grip the paper surface. Perhaps test out some model car rubber tires instead of the wheels I've got on now, or perhaps just cover the wheels' surface in rubber cement, and let it dry to a sticky gripping texture. I'm just afraid it will actually glue to the belt!

Offline StyrofoamKing

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 03:48:59 AM »
I really love foamcore, but in this case, I think corrogated cardboard, with the top stripped off, would be a hair easier.  If done right, the cardboard is more flexible (especially going around a wheel), and the ridges look like a belt going around.  Just a thought.

I think the wheels are your best bet.  If you do use the glue, just make sure the tread is off until the glue dries.

Offline Chaos_Rabbit619

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 10:15:15 AM »
great idea...i think it might also be something that could be sort of a side objective for a fight...reaching the controls so the belts can be managed as the player sees fit, or maybe even that u need to turn a belt on or off to gain acess to some other parts of toe board. Also worse case situation: you WERE controlling it with your guys on it, the the opposing gang gets control and is able to even speed up or reverse direction of the belts possibly sending your gang members to thier doom.  Something u might consider: dismounting ( jumping off the belts) im sure there would be penalties for doing this (if trying to jump in opposite direction belt is moving, or if moving fast) as well as bonuses as well (jumping off but in same direction belt is moving)

but great idea this really adds to the industrial feel of Necromunda.

Offline Ravendas

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 06:29:47 PM »
I've actually got a lot of mine made, but I'm really doing mine with a motor. I just don't really know how to wire it the way I want.

It's got 2 nodes (of course). + on A, - on B, and it goes one way. Switch the wires, and it spins the other way. I'd like to make one switch with one battery pack control the movement. I've got some of the 3 state switches (on one way, on the other way, and off in the middle) and plenty of wire, but not sure how to do it. I could do it with 2 switches, where both up = forward, both down = backwards. Maybe I'll just settle and do it like that.

I'm not proficient with electronics, but I know the basics.

Offline Yarrow

• Lurker
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 03:22:31 PM »
I really like this idea. I had been think about escalators to travel vertically, i feel pwned i didn't think of this!

On the subject of experimental terrain, I'm building a crane right now- should be fun. After that is the rotating platform (like a turntable for trains). Anyone got any good ideas for other terrain features?

PS. Hi! New to the forums, just thought i'd say y'all great. yeah. Shout outs to the southern Brits!

Offline Ravendas

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 06:24:26 PM »
I've had thoughts of various kinds of elevators and lifts, conveyor belts like the one described here, and even a hanging chain system, like a conveyor belt in the air. Factories will have a chain slowly making its way around a track high up in the air, with other chains dangling down off of it to carry crates/goods. I think gangers could make good use of this holding on and going for a ride from place to place, although it would be at a cost of cover.