March 29, 2024, 08:42:04 AM

Author Topic: Cannons  (Read 9670 times)

Offline Mig21

• Lurker
    • Loc: Portugal
Cannons
« on: February 22, 2015, 11:59:05 PM »
Hello to all

My first post and a question very simple.

We put 2 cannons in a stand when they shot it is only with 3 dice or 3 dices for each cannon?

Sorry for the question but it´s my first game of Warmaster and yes is a silly question.

Thanks and greetings from Portugal 

Offline Geep

Re: Cannons
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 12:25:51 AM »
Welcome Mig21,

You shoot with however many shots it says per stand. So a Cannon unit of 2 stands, with a shooting value of 3, would roll 6 dice in total.

Offline Mig21

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 01:06:46 AM »
Thanks

So the important is the stand and not how many cannons in each.

I Love the game, and is incredible why if I play in early 80´WHFB and 40K epic and never play this one,

Now I play almost historical games and I love Black Powder so one thing push the other and now I see why I love so much the game principals in RP games.

Sorry my English, and son I put some pics

Mig

Offline Geep

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 02:34:58 AM »
No worries on the English, and looking forward to the pics.

You are right that the number of models on a stand doesn't matter. There's quite a few people on this forum who put less than the usual amount of models on a base.

Offline Lex

• Global Moderator
  • I wonder...
    • Loc: Bergen op Zoom, Netherlands
    • Warmuster . BitzBox
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 09:49:45 AM »
No worries on the English, and looking forward to the pics.

You are right that the number of models on a stand doesn't matter. There's quite a few people on this forum who put less than the usual amount of models on a base.

What Geep says, as it comes down to aesthetics. As long as you and your opponent are both clear on what is represented.

With cannon is would be a UNIT compromised of TWO STANDS.  Normally that means both stands have a cannon and some crew

that said

I would not mind an opponent representing the unit with one cannon and the second stand have a small "diorama" of the crew. Just point out to me before the game that in fact, that represents a unit of cannons

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 10:52:50 AM »
As I understand it, the cannon stats are that there are two stands, each with two attacks, so you'd roll 4 dice.

They also have "bounce" which means that each hit has the chance to go through the first stand and get automatic hits on stands after it.
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Loc: Vigo, Galicia, Spain
    • Fortunes of war
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 01:55:57 PM »
Hi Mig21 and welcome to the forum,

Where are you in Portugal?

Offline Mig21

• Lurker
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 09:58:08 PM »
Hello all, and for Jchaos I´am from Lisbon. You are from Portugal?

Offline Mig21

• Lurker
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 10:02:44 PM »
OK I see you are from Galiza. very nice place and not very far from Lisbon, I belong to a club with 26 elements we play a lot of games it´s a nice idea if you come here to a weekend of games.

see our blog, but sorry we don´t put there every thing we do, we are a little bit lazy,   ;D

https://umbigos.wordpress.com/

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Loc: Vigo, Galicia, Spain
    • Fortunes of war
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 06:43:40 AM »
wow impressive blog. Lisbon is a little bit far away (I have the secret hope you were from Oporto). Anyway thanks for the invitation but I am not sure If I will have a whole spare weekend to dediacte fully to wargame.

Anyway I courage you to inmerse in warmaster and 10mm world. I think it is worth

Offline Mig21

• Lurker
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 08:57:31 AM »
OK. Thanks and keep in touch
Saludos unha aperta

Offline Stuart Bleything

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 12:43:53 PM »
Sorry this may seem a silly question .
When cannons hit say a battery of two guns , so each gun shoots twice , if the gun hits twice do both cannon ball hits get bounce through ?  .
As this was queried .

I hit seven times with a battery of four guns , against two units in line one directly behind the other .
from reading the rules I thought that each hit bounced 5 cm and you had a chance then to hit other stands upto 5 cm behind ?.

is this the case ?
And second part is the bounce part of the 60 cm range , or an extra 5 cm distance because of the hit ?

Kind regards in advance

Stuart

Offline Dave

• Loc: Worcester, MA
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 01:08:16 PM »
I've having trouble parsing those questions. This is how I work out cannons in my head:

- Draw a line from the cannon to the target unit, closest point to closest point.
- The target unit takes the full effect of the cannon.
- Extend that line through the STAND where it contacted the target unit and then another 5cm.
- Any STANDS under that line ( take the bounce effect of the cannon.

So a unit in column has the potential to be hit 4 times by a cannon if the 5cm bounce covers the back two stands.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 01:36:29 PM by Dave »

Offline Geep

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 01:26:52 PM »
As Dave says.
You effectively work out the 'bounce' before rolling to-hit, and the bounce can cause up to 1 hit on each stand the line passes through. So a unit in a column of three stands, being shot by a single cannon, will have 2 dice rolled against it for the target stand, and one die for each of the other stands, for a total of 4 dice.
If shot at by 2 cannons, you'd roll 8 dice against this unit.

Basically, the two shots you roll for, per cannon stand, is an abstraction (like everything in Warmaster). Think of it as a rain of many cannon balls, with overshot being frequent. If the unit is in a deep formation this overshot will still hit the same unit, or if another unit is behind it that other unit may also be hit by the overshot.

I don't think it's stated in the rules, but I'd give the cannon a full 5cm bounce even if this does hit things greater than 60cm away (though you must still target a stand within the 60cm range).

Offline Stuart Bleything

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 01:56:27 PM »
So this may sound dope , and my apologies in advance .
When targeting a unit for the purpose of shooting , before  you throw any dice , you automatically add the number of dice for the bounce .

So one cannon gets two dice and two dice for  bounce if your shooting at units in column of three bases ? .