April 19, 2024, 01:06:35 AM

Author Topic: Mighty Empires Game  (Read 21388 times)

Offline Gorrin

• Loc: West London
Re: Mighty Empires Game
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2016, 08:01:50 PM »
May not be to everyone's taste but I find the tiles best tackled with 1mm flock and clump foliage.

Spray the tile green. Paint roads in cream. Pva. Flock. Clump foliage. You can do 20 in an evening.

Offline Gorrin

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2016, 09:34:01 PM »
Flocked tiles. 3d printed "blanks" and GW mountains.

Offline mlkr

• Loc: Sweden
Mighty Empires Game
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2016, 09:54:57 PM »
Thats a very nice look there :)

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk
//Swedish BB & WM-player.

Offline Tiberius

• Loc: Anaheim, CA
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2016, 04:35:34 AM »
That is really cool!  I need to find someone with a 3D printer because that's exactly what I'd like. I was thinking of just getting some board  hexes from pendraken. The ones that lock would be much better. I'll have to look into the 2mm scenery also!

Offline Gorrin

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2016, 05:26:57 PM »

Offline cjbennett22

• Loc: Grand Rapids, Michigan
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2016, 07:26:35 PM »
Gorrin, have you been able to play a full campaign with your might empire tiles?  How did it go and what would you change for the better?

I see a lot of the "I put in a lot of time and energy but now no one wants to play" when it comes to the mighty empire tiles.

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2016, 12:50:57 AM »
Beautiful work, Gorrin - I like that forest look as well.
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Gorrin

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2016, 06:20:51 PM »
Cjbennett22

Mighty Empires can be played as a stand-alone game or as a campaign tool. The card tiles are available to download, as are the rules - you can use anything to represent the pieces - I use Warmaster Stands because I don't own the original game...besides it looks better imo to use an orc stand to represent an orc army rather than a human stand with a coloured banner. I'm not sure if you were interested in ME as a game or to play a campaign. My opinion of the game is that it's great fun, 1 set is only really good for 3 players and you need two lots of tiles really to play 4-6 players. I think someone else mentioned that the more players there are the longer turns take. Tbh it's been so long since I played a game I can't remember much about it apart from the fact that we always left out the dragons...I never really saw the point. As I said previously, I used to play it online on Vassal and that made the games a bit more manageable - you didn't have to leave all the tiles out until the next time you got together.

Include the extra rules for mines, necropolis and wizard towers if you can, if you download the right version of the rules they are all included and you don't need to get the old copies of WD!

As a campaign tool, the sculpted tiles look great and are ideal for campaigns but YES it's a lot of work. Campaigns are one of the most fun parts of our hobby but there are many, many pitfalls to doing so. I would recommend reading an article Rick Priestley wrote in the Wargames press (I have it somewhere) that detailed different types and different ways to play as well as his experience with trying to run them.

One thing most people will tell you is that people have different levels of commitment. A campaign might take 12 consecutive Monday nights, can all players commit? What happens if just two of the four of you show up one Monday? One thing I've done is ensure that each "power" has two players. If both show up - they confer and play together, if one shows up - that person plays alone, if no-one shows up we used house rules - usually moving their armies back to their capital and leaving their territory up for grabs as we played turns without them.

The other thing is that a 4 power campaign might quickly involve one player quickly eliminated - you have to allow for that. We would often incorporate this by "absorbing" the defeated "king" into the conquering power as conferring player...sometimes within two campaign years two players are out and two are left. It can happen very quickly.

I've been playing a mapless campaign of WFB 3rd edition with some friends. It's really just a series of linked battles (the Legend of Sheepy Hollow) but this Sunday will be only the third Sunday in two Months we've been able to get lead on table. Real life gets in the way!

The GW "General's Compendium" is also very good if you can get a copy (it's on SCRIBD) and describes a variety of ways in which a campaign can be played.

Offline Gorrin

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2016, 06:37:10 PM »
Thanks stormwind.  It's a quick technique and quite effective.

Offline Tiberius

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2016, 06:54:51 PM »
Gorrin, if you ever find that Rick Priestley article, I would be very interested.  I also check amazon every once in a while, to see how much the General's compendium is going far.  One of my friends had one ages ago, and I just remember it was a blast flipping through.  You are right though, PDFs of the book are pretty easy to find.

Those are some great ideas dealing with people not showing up, and people being eliminated.  Becoming a lieutenant is a fun way to keep things going.

As I have said before, it will probably be ages before I could organize one if I ever do, but it's at least fun to dream about and plan just in case.

Also do you know where I could find the updated mighty empires rules?

Offline cjbennett22

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2016, 02:09:15 AM »
Tiberius, PM me and I can send the rules to you.

Offline Gorrin

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2016, 10:57:49 AM »
Tiberius I'll have a look for the article I usually put all interesting articles  (especially Rick's regular column) in a folder so I doubt I'll have thrown it away.

Mighty Empires rules are here:

http://www.darkagepress.com/WarmasterDownloads.html

Offline cjbennett22

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2016, 02:44:37 AM »
Tiberius, just curious if you have been painting your mighty empires stuff and how that project is going?  It was a beast getting mine done and sadly only 1 failed attempt at a campaign as life constantly gets in the way  :/

Offline Tiberius

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2016, 11:18:19 PM »
Sadly I haven't been working on my Mighty Empires stuff at all recently.  All my hobby time has been spend trying to get by first 1,000 points of Warmaster Empire done.  Which thankfully, I just did!  I will post some pictures later today.   I think my next project after that will be either a Chaos or Orc Army, not sure which.  Gotta have some armies before you can play a campaign!

How many players did your failed attempt include?

Offline cjbennett22

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2016, 03:37:16 AM »
It was just me and my brother.  We live 2 plus hours away from each other and we both have 2 kids ranging from nearly 2 to 5 right now so its really difficult for one of us to take the entire day off for travel and gaming and travel back just in time for dinner on a weekend day.

We met up at his place to kick it off and built the map then played a basic 2k point warmaster game just because at the store near him and that took 3 hours alone!  We like chatting it up and looking up all the rules just to be sure AND the Malifaux players kept coming over to watch a bit (they were doing a tournament the same day), our game started before their tourney and ended well after their games were all packed up.

I still have the map packed up and the paperwork filled out with hopes of jumping right back into it but I highly doubt that will happen.  I was chaos and he was high elves.

My campaign is pretty bold though, I combined Man O'War and Heroquest into a Warmaster campaign using mighty empires and my brother has no idea at all on MOW.  I'm still working on my rulebook but almost done now.  I played a game just to test all of the rules and to check balance of a chaos force holding a city against a high elf siege army while a High elf fleet tried to break through the chaos fleet and to drop off more troops inside the city on an 8x4 table (also I added dueling to do 1 on 1 combats with your heroquest characters that represent your warmaster heroes).  The battle took me 2 days to do and 1 night to prepare for, crazy awesome though.  I'm pretty sure 1 turn took me 1 hour to do all by myself with no strategy or thought so 2 people with a thinking process going would probably take 2 hours.