April 27, 2024, 12:24:36 AM

Author Topic: Toy's n' That....  (Read 85953 times)

Offline osjclatchford

• Loc: chigwell, essex, uk
Re: Toy's n' That....
« Reply #405 on: November 09, 2020, 08:36:15 PM »
Yeah that's gonna be lovely!

I start all my bases with GS or miliput. (Usually gs though) add rocks, sand and debris. Then use the old crackle paint.i find that gives a good variation in height that reduces the flat look. However the flat look is ideal for desert type areas, so swings and roundabouts un it?
2017 Droppod Studios -  A subsidiary of the OSJC

Offline Lord Borak

• Loc: United Kingdom
« Reply #406 on: November 10, 2020, 02:32:01 PM »
I picked up some of the 'crackle paint'. Which is funny, because that's exactly what my 5 year old calls it ;). It's good stuff!! I did use it on all the bases as well. I might make a few mounds with GS. I've used Polyfilla in the past but that shatters or cracks far more than I'm happy with.

Todays mission completed! The purple is done. Again it looks a little Tron like but I'm hoping, as before, the gold trim will calm it down. Tomorrows job is the black although it will probably take me tomorrow and the day after :(

Oh, any ideas on what colour to do the little shields on his shoulders? I'm kinda at a loss. and where do you put your Legio symbol??? There's not many flat surfaces for decals.

Offline Lord Borak

« Reply #407 on: November 12, 2020, 04:15:01 PM »
Well, turns out the black only took me about 4hours to do so I got that done in a day. The gold on the other hand is proving to be much more of a job that I had thought it would be. Still, the gold is almost done!!

A few questions. There's a band around the main vents/exhausts on the top/rear. Should they be gold?

Another plug for Vanguard miniatures (I should start charging them really). I picked these flak guns up on the off chance they'd work on the strategum bases...

Offline Malika

• Loc: Netherlands
    • Bits Blitz
« Reply #408 on: November 12, 2020, 04:34:36 PM »
(I should start charging them really)
Have you considered chatting with John to see if you perhaps can get some pre-released miniatures to paint which he could then use for marketing purposes?
Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Offline Lord Borak

« Reply #409 on: November 12, 2020, 05:24:13 PM »
I hadn't considered that........  :o

In all honesty I have done some stuff before but I really struggle meeting deadlines due to a somewhat hectic work/home life (plus I'm not the quickest of painters either!).

Offline Apocolocyntosis

« Reply #410 on: November 13, 2020, 09:30:51 AM »
these look great, super smooth

Offline horizon

• Mod
  • Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #411 on: November 13, 2020, 10:32:42 AM »
I really like that purple tone you have on these models. I never seem to get it right.

Offline Lord Borak

« Reply #412 on: November 15, 2020, 01:04:52 PM »
The Purple is Xereus Purple mixed 50/50 with black for the base. Then more purple to high light up with and then finally mixing white in for the harsher highlights. Although, I did mix in some of the old GW Purple ink to get a sort of glossy feel to the paint. A satin varnish would probably achieve the same result.

I finished the gold and started the silver (it's just leadbelcher). I did get the little shields done although I'm still deciding on heraldry for the other pad.

I grabbed a couple of Warlords off ebay and I just realised one of them was a bit damaged and had dents in the armour and rivets were worn off in placed. Which sucks and I have no idea which person I bought which one from! So I decided to just make another force of titans! :D I'll do a 1500pt force of the yellow and Red/black checked Titans. I had intended for him to be charging forward about to shoulder barge something but I messed the pose and he's a bit too hunched over I think. I doubt I'll be able to pull him apart to fix him now so he is how he is!! I also went and removed every imperial eagle as well (you'd be surprised how many there are). Battle damage and additional armour plates to come!

Offline horizon

• Mod
  • Veteran member
« Reply #413 on: November 15, 2020, 07:14:45 PM »
That finished army is gonna be awesome.

Offline Lord Borak

« Reply #414 on: November 20, 2020, 06:32:49 PM »
That finished army is gonna take flipping ages to finish :D But thank you kindly. Its actually really refreshing to paint something that isn't just dry brush and wash.

I had a day off and managed some 'me time' (which is immensely rare now I'm back at work) and got the silver done and started doing some detail work! Eyes/lenses. Pipes. Neatening up. That sort of thing. There's still loads to do. I even had a crack at some glowy plasma effect on the Vents but not sure I'm happy with it to be honest with you.

I also started painting my 'other' warlord. The Yellow is just washes, two highlights and then more washes but I think it might need some more washes to darken it down. Again I tried some glow effect on the vents but I think I'm gonna need some more practice at this to get it looking good. I'll be cracking on with the diamond pattern on my next day off.

Oh, I need a name. Maybe Sordidum Senem? (Dirty old Man)

Offline osjclatchford

• Loc: chigwell, essex, uk
« Reply #415 on: November 21, 2020, 02:48:05 PM »
yum!
2017 Droppod Studios -  A subsidiary of the OSJC

Offline horizon

• Mod
  • Veteran member
« Reply #416 on: November 21, 2020, 06:38:40 PM »
Yeah.

That last one has a serious menacing pose. And the colour scheme gives an extra oomph.

Offline Lord Borak

« Reply #417 on: November 22, 2020, 07:18:26 PM »
Thanks guys. I actually glad you like the pose on that warlord as I cocked up the legs whilst building it. It was supposed to be standing on a fallen titan but I messed it up. Tried to reposition the legs but ended up ripping the plastic at the knee and had to bodge it..........

Well. Unless you couldn't tell. In which case I meant to do that pose.  ;)

Offline timdp

• Loc: Northern California, USA
« Reply #418 on: November 22, 2020, 10:09:00 PM »
Last one looks like he is trying to be sneaky... ;D

Offline Lord Borak

« Reply #419 on: November 28, 2020, 06:28:34 PM »
Probably the exact opposite of the look I was going for lol.  ::)

Right. I managed a day off and got some basing done. As well as making some little Cacti out of green stuff and paper clips. I' rather proud of them :D

I also started on the Diamond pattern. Still loads to do but the basic pattern is almost done.