April 26, 2024, 07:31:08 PM

Author Topic: Magic banners in combat engagements.  (Read 2436 times)

Offline Clawlessdragon

• Loc: Kent, England
Magic banners in combat engagements.
« on: August 10, 2017, 01:25:14 PM »
I wanted to ask how banners work under the new 2 rounds of combat.

Example Banner of Fortitude = “The effect only lasts for the first combat engagement of the battle, including rounds of pursuit combat during the same engagement and any further engagements which result from an advance during the same phase.”
I believe most people will only apply the effects for the first 2 rounds (or up to 4 rounds if an advance was made). Does this mean the banner is not as effective and therefore overpriced?

Or, if 2 units are “locked” in combat for more than 2 rounds is this considered the same “engagement” and therefore the effects of the banner continue into the opponents round until either unit is destroyed or both sides disengage, which signals the end of the “engagement” and the banner effects cease.

Are the banners/items on the committees list of things to review in order to bring them in line with the new revolution changes and/or adjust the cost?

Offline Ole

• TTT
    • Loc: Hamburg
Re: Magic banners in combat engagements.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 04:22:57 PM »
I would play them as you described, only for the first 2 combat rounds. There are a some spells that are worse now than under vanilla as well.

The Advance is a new combat and there for the banner should have no effect anyway.

But our princess is in another castle!

Offline Clawlessdragon

• Loc: Kent, England
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 01:08:05 PM »
I just realised I should have posted this in the revolution thread!

I agree this has the same impact on spells, making some less powerful (orcs.... Waaagh) but you don't pay for spells, I'm guessing unless the points are adjusted, we will never see most of these items on the battlefield as the cost vs benefit has changed.  Ultimately, everyone is effected the same way so it's not a huge issue.

I would be inclined to change the wording from "lasts for the first combat engagement" to "lasts for the first combat phase"...  as an engagement could last many phases.

However, I disagree the banner (or a spell) ceases when an advance is made... as it all occurs within the same combat phase. - this is when slight clarifications in the rule book, changing a word or two can make a difference in interpretation.
thanks

Offline Ole

• TTT
    • Loc: Hamburg
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 05:29:45 PM »
I just realised I should have posted this in the revolution thread!

I agree this has the same impact on spells, making some less powerful (orcs.... Waaagh) but you don't pay for spells, I'm guessing unless the points are adjusted, we will never see most of these items on the battlefield as the cost vs benefit has changed.  Ultimately, everyone is effected the same way so it's not a huge issue.

I would be inclined to change the wording from "lasts for the first combat engagement" to "lasts for the first combat phase"...  as an engagement could last many phases.

However, I disagree the banner (or a spell) ceases when an advance is made... as it all occurs within the same combat phase. - this is when slight clarifications in the rule book, changing a word or two can make a difference in interpretation.
thanks

Yes of course. The banner description says it loud and clear that an advance is possible. Sorry for that.

The banner of Shielding is worth its weight in gold.
The Battlebanner and the Banner of Fortitude maybe still worth 50 points but no way as cheap as the Banner of Steadfastness.

But our princess is in another castle!