April 24, 2024, 06:47:20 PM

Author Topic: "We're gonna need a bigger thunderhawk..." converting primaris carcharadons  (Read 33859 times)

Offline Lord Borak

• Loc: United Kingdom
Dammit, I was wondering what chapter to do my Primaris in......... These look too good mate. Love the homage to the old MK5 Armour.

Offline osjclatchford

• Loc: chigwell, essex, uk
thanks for the support guys!

heres some wip of whats coming soon(well soon ish...;))

top row right to left: mk3 guy with converted bolter (tigrus to rt-era lookalike), mk4 guy with tigrus bolter and more subtle studs, mk7 (second ed) guy with phobos bolter and holstered chainsword (totally inspired from that classic artwork by kev walker), mk7 guy with chainsword and holstered 3rd ed bolter (pose clearly stolen from gk's castellan crowe, but general pose idea came from spacemarine video game so expect a splattering of gorno on this dude).
bottom row left to right: mk7 (second ed inspired again) guy with second ed bolter (feat. 3rd ed magazine assembly), mk5 guy, with 3rd ed bolter with box mag from cawl boltfifle. also includes converted holstered chainaxe on belt (more on that later), mk6 guy tataros legs, mk6 torso and lid, sos umbra bolter, the rest is primaris. (this guy is based on the Bourne ultimatum dvd cover), mk7 guy, with knife and 'slung' bolter (using kroot strap, and 3rd ed bolter, made a week before the fancy new infiltrators did the exact same thing LOL)

hard as nails sgt with in mk3 with chainaxe and classic rt era bolter! chest plate is from tataros termies
(pose inspired by drax from gotg, as originally with two chainaxes, but swapped one out for the bolter converted from the sm commander combi-bolter, inspired from 30k era illustrations from 'the first heretic' book i recently read for the first time...)

fyi, the mk7 heads are actually mk8 heads from the deathwatch sprue as the slimline faceplates fit in with the high gorget of the intercessor plate with very little, if any, interference

reivers:

went in a different direction with these. even more rt era looking! the heads are all ravenwing biker mk6 with the da stuff shaved off (for the coms aerial tactical look!), the single pad is swapped out for the classic studded pad. (this I feel keeps the more slimline look of the phobos armour when compared to the studded pads on my full armour conversions) the bolters are from shapeways and I love them! rt looking but modern detail aesthetics. may swap out the mk4 backpacks for something more rt era looking soon.
couldn't resist some cool poses like the twin pistol john woo guy and the double handed pistol guy, from the new infiltrators set (funny thing, I converted this pose and the new set came out two days later. so I logically replaced my naff attempt with this proper version of it!)

reivers, master sgt hall.
as you can see I've done a bit of painting on him already, mainly to see what the bolter painted up like and to see if the helmet-less head works, which I think it does for the sector's strongest marine... ;)

more with actual photography soon(?)

« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 04:17:07 PM by osjclatchford »
2017 Droppod Studios -  A subsidiary of the OSJC

Offline Lord Borak

Looking good. Suitably brutal!! Love the pose on the guy firing the bolter one handed. Upside down Terminator plate as a chest plate really works and works very well indeed.

That Mohawk needs to be green I think.  ;)

Offline osjclatchford

Cheers lord B!

Just been over on bits box and shapeways this morning!
More ravenwing beakie heads and holstered boltpistols from craig, chainaxes and RT era Mk6 style backpacks from SW. All with the intention of pimping out my infiltrators from shadowspear to match the above reivers... Tbh I'm not sure what they are game wise, reivers or infiltrators or whatever. At present they're essentially RT inspired Phobos armoured badasses and that's as far as I've got at present. My philosophy; the model comes first. My mo with this army is that each guy has to be a hero in his own right. It's an army of potential characters. So if not a badass, I don't even wantcha!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 04:23:21 PM by osjclatchford »

Offline osjclatchford

UPDATE!
I actually got round to paining sgt. Hall this weekend, here is a crappy/blurry montage shot:

As you can see I've changed the backpack out for a shapeways print thats more of a rt-era looking dealie. its nice and slimline and (like the bolter) adds an aura of oldskoolness that I wanted. the whole squad of five is kitted out with these and some changes have been made to the poses/loadout. (twin pistol is gone and the single handed pose is gone) I've done a nice grenade throwing pose and an 'advancing' one in their stead. the mk3 guy's got a better chainaxe now too (another print)... more on those soon...

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
Dang these look suitably chunky!
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline osjclatchford

so, heres some wip shots of of some of the things I mentioned above:

the new chainaxe on the mk3 guy

grenade slinging beakie

rework of the two handed pistol pose to actually use the original body. (quite tricky to get the slung bolter right but totally worth it)

this guy uses the same body as the one above, reworked to look like he's advancing under fire or something...

the next two are a couple of ideas to do mk7 inspired reivers.

this ones doing a leaping punch because lets face it, marines are pretty violent, space sharks even more so...

this one's performin an execution with his bolt pistol.

originally I was considering doing these two with jump packs. hence the death from above kinda poses, still unsure at present. if successfull would do a whole squad of five, perhaps with a flamer in there too and definitely a couple with chain weapons! what do you guys think though?

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
I'd love to see one with an old fashioned flamer!
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline osjclatchford

That's exactly what's comin'  ;D

Offline osjclatchford

well no flamer yet but here's more wip!

I decided to add some hq into the mix and was thinking about something along the lines of a smash-captain but primaris.
I figured that a thunderhammer was not the typical weapon of a space-shark so I pondered awhile and played with some bits:

the 'slash'-captain was born.
ok, I went a bit ape on the studs even on the jumppack as I wanted a real mk5 oldskool look.
also the body is a mix of reiver torso with intercessor legs/arms. its a good mix imho actually...

the head is one I had previously on a regular marine but I've swapped his head out for one of kromlech's "bedlam fraternity"  lids instead.

although intended for chaos noise marines the pack features some interesting archaic looking variations on beakie and heresy type lids. a bit of trimming and gs to reduce the chaotic nature somewhat and the lids look great to suggest older marks of imperial marine armour.  this one especially looks very sharky with its toothy 'grin'  made of grills. more soon..? I dunno... I may even get a paintbrush to some of these one day LOL

thinking of using the new palatine enforcers as scouts but still unsure about this...

Offline Lord Borak

Must not get distracted by Primaris Marines. Must not get distracted by Primaris Marines. Must not get distracted by Primaris Marines. Must not get distracted by Primaris Marines. Must not get distracted by Primaris Marines. Must not get distracted by Primaris Marines. Must not get distracted by Primaris Marines.

Stop it damn you!!

Great stuff mate (as usual). Sometimes I wish you'd do something rubbish. Just to prove that you're fallible like the rest of us :P

Offline osjclatchford

Great stuff mate (as usual)
thanks geez! appreciated.

... Sometimes I wish you'd do something rubbish. Just to prove that you're fallible like the rest of us :P

oh they exist believe me. however, you think I'd photograph and show you?   ;)

oh and just fyi Ive again swapped the mkv head back onto that marine with the boxmag bolter again and put that new grillie-beakie on the slash captain. much better now... so indecisive with these that I'm glad I'm taking my time before painting them as much as I am. it means I can keep swapping, dismantling and re building as I change my mind the more I look at them... for instance, that flying-punch-jump guy is gone now too  as is the executioner one. I figure Ive got enough to paint and I dont want odd models knocking about. so far in total I have 15 intercessors (3 combat squads of 5?) a five man reiver team and now this slash captain / lt. command figure.
so no room for stragglers I say!
I've still due to paint: last five of my royston rifles guard infantry, 5 custom made rough riders for the same regiment, a custom made bombard, cain and jurgen set, and nevermind all my pending bfg stuff (too numerous to mention) plus I gotta go to work and sleep and eat and stuff so, as you know as well as I, time is a cowson for modellers. especially ocd ones like me that will only paint his marines one at a time so as not to split focus. (yeah, sad, but I really do. something I decided to do with these as my guard done in squads of ten or even five started to get a bit slap dash in batches)
tight regimented numbers get the job done easier and allow me to put more effort in to each model.
but that's just me.

also being an impulsive guy (not really but my sister gave me a £25 voucher for birthday) I just preordered some palatine enforcers to convert into some nice sexie primaris scouts. so off to bitzbox again, boltpistols, shotguns, nades, scout heads... the list never ends... :D

« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 04:11:01 PM by osjclatchford »

Offline osjclatchford

palanite (tine? whatever; poor mans arbites, lol) enforcers do make nice bases for scouts!

simple job. swap out the weaps, heads and equipment and you got something!

I shaved the shoulders smooth 1, because it changes the profile/appearance somewhat and 2, the join front and back on the kit makes the ridges on the shoulders look atrocious imho.
the shotgun guy is awaiting his bit of guitar wire as on the pistol dude.

these are very wip but any suggestions are welcome.

some might  say, why bother, just buy scouts but come on man, look at those poses. much more tacticool and the transition between the metal scouts to plastic was a major downgrade as far as I was concerned. these new enforcers have all the attention to detail and character the original metal scouts had and as such make ideal conversion fodder! plus that chest panel is just crying out for a chapter symbol its practically intended for it no?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 08:46:03 AM by osjclatchford »

Offline Ragsta

• Loc: Edinburgh

I think it’s a nice build so far, the use of guitar wire adds some nice extra detail. The one thing I dislike is the choice in head if I’m honest - but this actually highlights what you’ve said about the poor plastics for scouts (and in a way IG too actually - poor naked head choices!). Perhaps a skinhead or Mohawk, something younger looking to reflect their initiate status?

I can see how the enforcers could also be based as Navy Armsman from your post thanks to this post! I like the extra bitz on the back  :)

Offline osjclatchford

thanks Ragsta. to be honest the kit, single-pistols, shotguns and heads are the only bit I like in the scout sprue!
and tbh the heads area actually my favourite gw heads! I use them all the time on guard too! LOLS

funny how tastes differ so.

I was debating funting around with the shoulders yesterday but not sure. dont wanna ruin em.

oh, and I'm only doing five so there'll be another five up for grabs for trade or sale or whatever from this kit when I'm done so if anyone's interested pm me!