April 19, 2024, 05:22:04 PM

Author Topic: Charging protected artillery  (Read 2175 times)

Offline Dark Omen

• Loc: UK - Midlands
Charging protected artillery
« on: February 03, 2018, 04:56:38 PM »
Dear Community,
I've been trying to come up with infantry formations designed to best protect artillery from being charged by flyers or cavalry.

I had an idea that by placing a single artillery piece between two infantry columns it would be safe from enemy charges (see first picture.)

However when I re read the rules for moving through gaps, (page 21 WMR Compendium rules) I don't think this idea would work.

According the the third paragraph on page 21, chargers are allowed to ignore the gap rule about moving past enemy stands in order to charge their target.

This would result in the artillery being charged by the Knights as per picture 2.

Assuming average dice rolls, the Knights would win the combat by one point and destroy the artillery by forcing it to retreat. (By my estimate the Knights inflict 4.78 unsaved hits, the Undead inflict 1.75 unsaved hits and have 2 support.)

So this formation does not work for Skeletons against Knights, but I believe it has potential to work against narrow edge Flyers (like Eagles) or other Cavalry types with a worse save than Knights. Alternately, using stronger infantry than Skeletons would yield better results as well.

This formation DOES prevent long edge flyers (like Harpies) from attacking the artillery at all from the front.

Does any one else have any tips for protecting their artillery?

Many Thanks

Iain

Offline Aldhick

• The End is nigh
    • Loc: Czech Republic
Re: Charging protected artillery
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 11:18:09 PM »
I think it is right that one cannot place the artillery so it becomes unreachable. On the other hand, if it was not skeletons but average human infantry, the result would be probably in favour of the defender. Being TK player myself, I always try to protect the artillery by other tactical means. Formation-wise only idea that comes to mind is placing bonethrowers alongside the skullchukka. That would be extra 4 no save s&s attacks + 2 attaks in combat.
WM - Toomb Kings
My Mordheim guys (and gals)
http://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t2734-aldhick-s-gangs

Offline Clawlessdragon

• Loc: Kent, England
Re: Charging protected artillery
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 09:47:07 AM »
The only other option i see is placing the chukka half way back in the 3 rd row (5 cm behind the front row). It will give a narrow view to fire, but the enemy will not be able to reach it, without loosing contact with its other stands. Does not help if it's a single monster stand 😏.