April 24, 2024, 12:39:18 AM

Author Topic: Gotch ya' spell question  (Read 3362 times)

Offline cjbennett22

• Loc: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Gotch ya' spell question
« on: March 18, 2018, 06:12:29 PM »
So spells can only have 1 target, but this spell affects all units under a 30cm line.  Can multiple orc shamans cast thing with the same unit under each line in a single shooting phase?

And just to make sure, can only 1 Waaaagh spell be cast on any 1 unit, so that an orc player cannot cast the spell on a unit of orc warriors multiple times?

Offline Aldhick

• The End is nigh
    • Loc: Czech Republic
Re: Gotch ya' spell question
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 09:13:21 PM »
iirc a unit can be affected by a certain spell only once per shooting phase.
WM - Toomb Kings
My Mordheim guys (and gals)
http://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t2734-aldhick-s-gangs

Offline Geep

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 01:47:29 PM »
I think the 'target' for Gotcha is the casting Shaman- if successful you draw the line from them and resolve its effects.

Aldhick is right though- no unit can ever suffer/benefit from the same spell twice in a magic phase. If a unit has already been affected by Gotcha (even if taking no hits) then any subsequent Gotcha spells that turn ignore that unit. Your line can pass over it, but you don't roll for more damage or drive back. Similarly for Waaagh- once it has been successfully cast the unit can't be affected again. I guess you could technically target it and try to cast the spell again, but there'd be no reason to- nothing would happen if you succeeded.

Offline cjbennett22

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 07:14:40 PM »
that makes better sense.  I wanted to try using an "X" pattern with my orc and goblin shaman's just over the weekend and realized the problem with the overlapping lines, I got them both off but had to drastically change my strategy after realizing the double target units.

So the spell could still be casted and draw a line over units from a previous spell but you just ignore the unit when rolling for hits.....makes sense.

Thank you all.

Offline Leonida

• Loc: italy
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 05:46:18 AM »
But are spells affected by changes to the hit roll? example: Hail of Destruction (High Elf), Warp Lighting (Skaven), Ball of Flame (Empire), Fury in the forest (Wood Elf) etc ... Thanks

Leonidas
"Remember, is a game"

Offline Geep

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 01:43:06 PM »
It depends- spells that say 'make X attacks worked out in the usual way' should be affected  (which I think is all of your examples given).

Offline Leonida

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 02:34:25 PM »
If the shot to hit the spells previously indicated by me is modified by the ground: for example by the modifications of the unit shot in wood. hit at +4 or +5?
Thank you

Leonidas
"Remember, is a game"

Offline Geep

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 02:27:18 PM »
Hail of destruction says it is treated 'like three ordinary shooting attacks (4+ to hit)...'
Since that gives a specific to-hit value I would say that it is not modified by terrain.

Gotcha! by comparison causes the opponent to suffer '3 attacks worked out in the usual way.'
Since that says nothing about the to-hit value, I would treat the attacks as normal and they would be modified by terrain.

On a quick look, Hail of Destruction is the only one of those types of spells that specifies a to-hit value, so I'm probably wrong in my interpretation and the intent of the '(4+ to hit)' is to indicate that the mages don't get the archery bonus- But Assault of Stone then doesn't specify a to-hit roll, so it's weird to have it stated for one and not the other. I'd recommend that all such spells suffer penalties for terrain, but wouldn't argue if someone disagrees on Hail of Destruction.

Offline Aldhick

• The End is nigh
    • Loc: Czech Republic
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 12:33:31 PM »
IMO once there is "like ordinary shooting hits" than it is modified by terrain.
WM - Toomb Kings
My Mordheim guys (and gals)
http://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t2734-aldhick-s-gangs

Offline cjbennett22

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 03:10:20 PM »
I second it, "ordinary attacks" and "in the usual way" make me think of how most units shoot, like dwarf rangers.  How would they shoot?  30cm and on 4's if in the open, etc. etc.
To tell you the truth, I do not believe I have ever used a spell against someone in a defended position.  But that's because I always go after the 4+ open ground unit, it was lucky enough to just cast the spell  LOL

Geep just got a whole new respect for the woods  :)

Offline Leonida

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 07:25:46 PM »
Thanks you
"Remember, is a game"

Offline Geep

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 12:49:13 PM »
Geep just got a whole new respect for the woods  :)
Not really  :P I agree with your interpretation, it's just that since Hail of Destruction is slightly different in that it specifies a to-hit value, I'd allow opponents to hit with a 4+ at all times. If I were casting it, I'd assume it was odd wording of a common rule and would apply terrain, meaning I'd hit on 5's. I'd expect most opponents to quickly take on the terrain penalty as well- I haven't come across anyone too cut-throat in this game yet.