April 23, 2024, 07:32:31 PM

Author Topic: [WM] Vampire Counts  (Read 1797 times)

Offline industrialtrousers

• Loc: Londinium
[WM] Vampire Counts
« on: May 30, 2020, 05:06:02 PM »
Despite there being quite a few options for these now and loads more models than a year ago thanks to Cromarty Forge and Cibo (MM Look like they've added stuff but no photos) I've decided to go with a very traditional look.

The model responsible, with me it always starts with a single model, is the mounted Copplestone wraith who will serve as a necromancers.

A recent purchase involved bat swarms from Pendraken as well as a unit of their skeletons for a look.

There are a few GW skeleton units on the way as well as some black knights and characters. I've sculpted up a Krell to go with Kemmler from the character pack so they'll be the other necromancer and the bloke with the mighty steed will probably serve as the general. The other hero ill try to copy the high elf hero conversion I've seen somewhere.

The build is looking heavy on skeleton units, prob max knights as I can't see any enjoyment in not being able to attack. I expect to have a few units from different manufacturers for these and the skeletons overall. If some don't really fit they can be used as raise dead units. Can anyone recommend the Irregular army pack? My concern is that they're only the one pose which doesn't suit me. Also 100 minis sounds good value but by the time you take out x2 for cavalry there's only a 2/3 of units there which puts them at only a slight price advantage over others for models that appear slightly lesser quality.

Zombies - probably a mix of CForge and Kallistra.

Ghouls - I prefer the MM ones for these over others I've seen but only 3 poses so need to add something else. CF most likely.

Ethereal units - any leftover stuff will do as I'm thinking to paint them up using one of the contrast paints and there's some stunning mixed units of these. Have also considered the Laran armoured troops but they could make better grave guard. They certainly look the part.

There's a few tidy mortis engine conversions around that I will probably have a crack at as a black coach conversion as I find the black coach idea a bit odd.

For dire wolves I will paint up Copplestone wolves but using fairly generic/std colours so I can use them in a Beastmen or Witch hunter army as well.

That's the thinking so far, probably going to order some bits from Kallistra this week and get some of the skeleton contrast paint as well as one of the ethereal (but which one?).

Re: [WM] Vampire Counts
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 08:13:13 AM »
After being able to compare the GW vs Pendraken skeletons I'm probably going to get the GW version as they are smaller and the Laran infantry I already own will then be able to be used for Grave guard. Might use the Pendraken as back row blokes.

The black knights are tidy as well. These scale well with a unit of heavy horse I have from Laran as well.

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 09:25:01 AM »
Looking for some budget Grave Guard (well  - cheaper than recast values). Is anyone aware of a photo which shows Magister Militum armoured skeletons? They're a bit short of photos in the skeleton/vamps section.

The only ghouls I've found that I like are the MM version but only 3 sculpts leaves them a bit short on variation. I found these the other day  - would need to get some and see what scale they are but these might make an acceptable ghoul alternative as a crypt horror
http://www.ralparthaeurope.co.uk/shop/vor-c-55/growlers-c-55_62/40103-razorback-pups-3-p-1745.html

« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 09:36:42 AM by industrialtrousers »

Offline andys

• Loc: UK
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 04:08:41 PM »
Although I've never seen them and there's no photo on the website, how about these for Grave Guard?

https://www.magistermilitum.com/fsk110-skeleton-foot-knights.html

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 10:46:32 PM »
I'm sure they're decent which is why I'm after a photo. Not really interested without having a look first in case they have pineapple helmets or something I can't live with.