March 29, 2024, 12:27:49 AM

Author Topic: Tale of Warmaster Painters: December 2020  (Read 2805 times)

Offline Apocolocyntosis

Tale of Warmaster Painters: December 2020
« on: December 06, 2020, 05:06:16 PM »
Looking forward to getting some hobby time in over Christmas, but for now i've just managed to finish off two units of daemon cav. Flyers next probably, but some extensive conversions needed to make plaguebearers fly.

A charging chaos carnival cavalry cavalcade, these are, quite simply, meant to be chaotic: fish, slugs, worms, stilts, horses. Noticed after taken photos id forgotten to do some of their eye pupils :(

Offline Pugwash

• Warmaster Downunder
Re: Tale of Warmaster Painters: December 2020
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 07:52:40 AM »
These are so creative + amazingly well executed!  I almost wouldn't mind getting my ass kicked by them.  Have you got plan for chariots as well?
Warmaster Downunder http://warmasterdownunder.blogspot.com - My Armies, Painting and Battle Reports.

Offline Apocolocyntosis

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 02:55:28 PM »
Have you got plan for chariots as well?

Cheers, yeah two options there: either circus wagons/carts along the lines of the old mordhiem set (a box on some WM cannon wheels, essentially –  mix of high elf and undead chariot horses to pull it);
or, walking/running circus tents

or a mix … not convinced they'd mix well. Im sure someone did a WFB carnival of chaos army with some walking tents, but can't seem to find it now
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 04:52:22 PM by Apocolocyntosis »

Offline Apocolocyntosis

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 04:53:06 PM »
anyone for a balloon ride? demon flyers:

Offline Pugwash

• Warmaster Downunder
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2020, 07:32:32 AM »
Those are absolutely magnificent!  A beautiful mix of gore and whimsy.  Well done Apocolocyntosis, what's next for this circus of the macabre?

For myself, some much more traditional and un-creative additions to the Dark Elves:

Repeater Bolt Throwers:

And Witch Elves:
Warmaster Downunder http://warmasterdownunder.blogspot.com - My Armies, Painting and Battle Reports.

Offline Apocolocyntosis

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2020, 07:21:00 PM »
Smart looking elves, could you share how you paint them, especially the shading?

what's next for this circus of the macabre?
Next, a bit of clowning about:

Offline Pugwash

• Warmaster Downunder
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2020, 07:17:21 AM »
Next, a bit of clowning about:
I love IT!  Really nice idea.

Smart looking elves, could you share how you paint them, especially the shading?

The short answer is a mix of GW contrast, edge and drybrush colours.  When I paint an army I usually try and use specific contrast colours, and then find highlights that work (for example the Dark Elf blue is Akhelian Green, with a bright highlight of Baharroth Blue, mixed with Sotek Green for some transitions).  That makes it sounds very convoluted, but on the actual tabletop 10mm is pretty forgiving and so I spend most time trialling different colour combos.

Definitely looking forward to the next instalment from the Nugle Circus!

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2020, 05:50:54 PM »
Wonderful work, everyone!  Sorry I have stalled out of Warmaster stuff.

I am focusing on some LOTR stuff as that is what is inspiring me right now.
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Apocolocyntosis

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2020, 10:46:47 AM »
The short answer is a mix of GW contrast, edge and drybrush colours.  When I paint an army I usually try and use specific contrast colours, and then find highlights that work (for example the Dark Elf blue is Akhelian Green, with a bright highlight of Baharroth Blue, mixed with Sotek Green for some transitions).  That makes it sounds very convoluted, but on the actual tabletop 10mm is pretty forgiving and so I spend most time trialling different colour combos.
Great thanks, which colour did you use for the elf skin tone? the caucasian skin tone contrasts seem a bit browner than the comparatively y pink colours im used to from GW, but yours looks just right

Offline empireaddict

• Loc: UK East Midlands
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2021, 10:05:10 PM »
Just mad! Love it.
"I cannot believe you when you say [your friend] has identical plastic boxes for his armies, all color coded [...] Don't you think that is being little obsessive?"
"Yes, but not enough to scare us wargamers."
Larry Leadhead (2004)