April 23, 2024, 09:47:02 AM

Author Topic: [WM] Pugwash's mighty Orc Waaagh  (Read 2869 times)

Offline Pugwash

• Warmaster Downunder
[WM] Pugwash's mighty Orc Waaagh
« on: November 22, 2020, 08:24:48 AM »
I've managed to finish my Orc Army - purchased a decade ago, painting began during lockdown in March and since then the Orcs have been a whole lot of fun to paint and play.  The sculpts are great, details amazing and the army is a chaotic mess, that can both take and deliver a punch, perfectly capturing the essence of the genre.  Hoping to get the whole army onto the table for a demo game in August 2021.

Behold the mighty Waagh of Gorefang Sixpeaks – Tyrant of the North:

Orc Warriors

Goblins

Black Orcs

Trolls, Ogres & Giants

Boar Riders

Wolf Riders

Wolf Chariots

Rock Lobbers

Characters
Warmaster Downunder http://warmasterdownunder.blogspot.com - My Armies, Painting and Battle Reports.

tgjensen

Re: [WM] Pugwash's mighty Orc Waaagh
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 11:35:59 AM »
What a beautiful army! I've managed to paint about 1300 points of Orcs and Goblins in 18 months, and you've painted three times that in a third of the time.

You can't help but be inspired. Maybe I should fish some Orcs out of storage...

Offline Gun_wun

• Loc: USA
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 04:04:37 PM »
Wow!  I'd say more but a squig got me tongue!

Offline empireaddict

• Loc: UK East Midlands
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 04:13:24 PM »
Amazing work. Looks great. What's next?!
"I cannot believe you when you say [your friend] has identical plastic boxes for his armies, all color coded [...] Don't you think that is being little obsessive?"
"Yes, but not enough to scare us wargamers."
Larry Leadhead (2004)

Offline Lord Borak

• Loc: United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 07:21:25 PM »
Everything I see is amazing. Great work man

Offline Pugwash

• Warmaster Downunder
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 07:24:52 AM »
Thank you all for the kind words! 
Amazing work. Looks great. What's next?!

Next up are the Dark Elves.  We're playing a campaign soon so I need to get them ready for another player - fortunately I already did the spearmen and Cold ones back in 2009 or so, but unfortunately I've decided to 'refresh' the scheme a little.  Either way it shouldn't be such a big undertaking and I'm hoping to get a small force table ready for our regular game next month. 
Warmaster Downunder http://warmasterdownunder.blogspot.com - My Armies, Painting and Battle Reports.

Offline Apocolocyntosis

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 07:33:18 PM »
Great spread. The orc sculpts are a really characterful set and this is an excellent showcase.

Offline adamsg01

• Loc: Australia
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2021, 12:12:48 PM »
Great work Pugwash. Love those orcs and yeah the sculptor(s) were artists for sure. I take my hat off to those who can make 28/15mm figures but in 10mm with this level of detail - wow. Your army is amazing and you should be well proud. I have about a similar sized army (maybe more) in all sort of states of paint. Like how you keep the river and stone trolls separate in different units. - I should do that too. Weird how they come mixed in a blister.  You gotta admit the catapult with the troll pulling on the ropes is pretty cool.

look forward ot the dark elves. I only have a smattering of them myself prefering my organs to remain within my body. Probably ally them with chaos but having 2 hydras that look so call - yet to be painted.

well wises and regards from down under too!

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • Loc: Worcester, MA
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2021, 01:28:26 PM »
That's a lot of Orcs... 4k?

Offline Pugwash

• Warmaster Downunder
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2021, 10:36:54 AM »
You gotta admit the catapult with the troll pulling on the ropes is pretty cool.

look forward ot the dark elves. I only have a smattering of them myself prefering my organs to remain within my body. Probably ally them with chaos but having 2 hydras that look so call - yet to be painted.

I love the rock lobbers, even if I'm unsure they're worth the points in competitive play.  Stay tuned, I hope to get all 4.5k points onto the table at one in early July for the Siege of Wulfenberg - plenty of pictures will be forthcoming soon!

As luck would have it today was picture day for the Dark Elves, so I'll post a gallery here shortly.  You can also see them in action in the Warmaster Battle Report section, documenting a game we played yesterday.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 11:34:02 AM by Pugwash »

Offline Blindhorizon

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2021, 10:23:41 PM »
Wow this is so awesome to see such a massive army painted up and all together like this. Are these all official GW miniatures or have you used any of the other companies out there like polar fox? If so which units are from others as they all look very uniform. I ask for my own WAAAAGGGHHH needs are growing, i was lucky to stumble across two unopened starter army orc box sets and need to fill out the gaps.

Thanks,
Blind-

Offline Pugwash

• Warmaster Downunder
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2021, 09:08:15 AM »
Are these all official GW miniatures or have you used any of the other companies out there like polar fox?

These are all GW sculpts from the original range.  Hopefully will be getting the whole force to the tabletop soon... stay tuned for the Siege of Wulfenberg!

Good luck with your own Waaagh!  It sounds like you're off to a good start.  With many other forces the new 3D prints are getting better than many of the original GW sculpts (I plan to upgrade my Chaos Mortals army soon) but the old Orcs and Goblins are still pretty great (especially if you can track down some Savage Orcs and Forest Goblins to break things up a bit).

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2021, 07:22:00 PM »
A really characterful force, well done!
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Apocolocyntosis

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2021, 01:11:40 PM »
Amazing force, congrats, can't begin to imagine painting that much orc/gob infantry!

Offline adamsg01

• Loc: Australia
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2021, 12:13:50 PM »
Agreed 3D printing options are getting tempting but I bought thousands of WM minis coz I am a bot old school.Not saying I am not tempted but can't wait to have time (retire) to paint all the O&G I acquired over the years. Gonna look awesome for sure.

WM is so great for the mass look regardless of whether you use WM rules or not.

Tempted by King of War rule also using these tiny 10mm chap and ladies.

Take care