April 19, 2024, 11:26:57 PM

Author Topic: Modelling bits for 3d printing  (Read 107178 times)

Offline Malika

• Loc: Netherlands
    • Bits Blitz
Re: Modelling bits for 3d printing
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2013, 01:01:43 PM »
Aquila Hammers

Smaller than conventional war hammers, the Aquila Hammer can be used with one hand. For this reason it is quite common for warriors to wield two such hammers when fighting heretics, aliens and horrors much worse. Kit includes 5 Aquila Hammers, suitable for 28mm to 35mm scaled miniatures. Each hammer is around 13.4mm high and 14.4mm wide.
Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Offline Islacrusez

• Loc: Plymouth, United Kingdom
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2013, 01:29:11 PM »
Heh, cute!
Quite crucial to be able to tell minefields and rally points apart...

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2013, 07:08:09 PM »
As a tribute to by Gun_wun's amazing Ork fleet, I've quickly put together some Scrapfleet turret kits, which are now available on Bits Blitz:

Heavy Turrets:

Comes in a set of 10 turrets. Each one of them is 11.84mm x 7.08mm x 8.7mm. You can get them here.

Light Turrets:

Comes in a set of 10 turrets. Each one of them is 10.12mm x 5.86mm x 4.52mm. You can get them here.

Offline Islacrusez

• Loc: Plymouth, United Kingdom
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2013, 03:22:35 PM »
Just a note, from the rough measurements I took when making my turrets, 5*5+5 is about the size of the Desolator's (Despoiler's? the once with all the lances) main lance cannons...
Quite crucial to be able to tell minefields and rally points apart...

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2013, 06:20:31 PM »
The small turret would work then since it's about 5x5 with an additional 5 for the barrel. The larger turret might not really work. However...do you think those dimensions would be big enough for Epic?

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2013, 05:13:18 PM »
Updated the turrets a bit: http://shpws.me/pXPh

Each turret (including barrel) is 5.14mm x 2.54mm x 2.28mm.

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2013, 06:47:02 PM »
And more turrets: http://shpws.me/pXTB

Offline Gun_wun

• Loc: USA
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2013, 06:49:57 PM »
Hey Malika, the new design is better.  I find the problem with BFG is representing the massive scale.  Sometimes I think I’m doing ok, and other times I think I just am doing a good job of fooling myself! Although in my defense this is my first attempt at anything this small.  At any rate the new turrets still need something.  Can you get any lines on the roofs?  Perhaps the barrels could be smaller, shorter.  Even though you would gain some height perhaps a small round base for them to sit on.  I think you are closer than you have been with the prior Guns.  Now I did like the prior guns, and I think I could use some here and there, but again they would need to represent heaver weapon systems not turrets.  Here I was playing with one of them and this is what I’d do to it………  Ummmmmmmmm perhaps 2 cooling cables if you could make it fit.  Da Boss thinks its a good idea.   

« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 07:41:14 PM by Gun_wun »

Offline Gun_wun

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2013, 06:51:50 PM »
Ohhhhhh, I like those new ones, making me want to shoot something!

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2013, 07:50:59 PM »
Hey Malika, the new design is better.  I find the problem with BFG is representing the massive scale.  Sometimes I think I’m doing ok, and other times I think I just am doing a good job of fooling myself! Although in my defense this is my first attempt at anything this small.  At any rate the new turrets still need something.  Can you get any lines on the roofs?  Perhaps the barrels could be smaller, shorter.  Even though you would gain some height perhaps a small square base for them to sit on.  I think you are closer than you have been with the prior Guns.  Now I did like the prior guns, and I think I could use some here and there, but again they would need to represent heaver weapon systems not turrets.  Here I was playing with one of them and this is what I’d do to it………  Ummmmmmmmm perhaps 2 cooling cables if you could make it fit.  Da Boss thinks its a good idea.   

Man, really digging what you're suggesting here. I've actually tried to do it. The only way to even make it slightly possible is if each of these turrets 2.5mm x 2.5mm. Haven't really been able to add a cooling cable to it since Sketchup is very annoying when it comes to more round shapes. Also, details that are like 0.1mm are almost impossible to print. If you still want to add certain tiny details to the models I'd suggest using a needle or something to cut them in there.

You can see the current version below. I need to tweak it slightly so it can be printed. I noticed the roof is giving a lot of troubles when converting the SketchUp file into an .STL file...

Offline Gun_wun

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2013, 08:46:09 PM »
I like the changes to the barrel!  The roof plates are too uniformed.  I think I'd loose them and as you said the individual "Mek Boy" can add them if and how they see fit.  Other wise you'd have to go in and carve them off and that would be a choir.  Yes, pips would be nice, but I understand.  Hopefully I can go in after and doctor them up if need be.  It's to bad you can't do a fire control visor piece.  I've never painted this small so I'm not sure what is possible and what is not.  I hope I'm not in for a huge let down when it comes time to throwing down color to the project.

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2013, 08:54:18 PM »
Final update, the Double Turrets are available again. The current dimensions, including barrel, are 5.06mm x 2.94mm x 3.6mm. I wonder how it will look like in real life. Details smaller than this will not be really visible, and will most likely disappear after a layer of paint.

Offline Gun_wun

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2013, 09:55:16 PM »
Nice, but I think I'd leave the top generic (no pipe, no plates)  Again this way you can add what you want.  If you use multiples on a ship you will then have to go and just cut the bits off as you don't want too much consistency on a Ork ship (in my opinion).  As a 1 shot piece it works really nice, but if I have lets say 10 of them, I'd need to do a lot of hacking.  It's easier to add than subtract.  Nice work Malika

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2013, 02:07:43 PM »
Hmm, considering the scale we're talking here, making it multipart would be impossible. I mean, the roof is about 1mm high, just take a file or knife, do a single smooth move and the roof is gone.

However, I could also simply remove the whole roof in its entirely, just have a flat generic one, it does mean that you'd need to add them all individually. That would be a lot of sculpting/scratchbuilding.

Offline Gun_wun

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2013, 04:48:59 PM »
I like the roof, I just think the extra details on the roof should go (the pipe sticking up, and the extra plates on top of the roof).  Sorry, I did not mean to imply that you'd sell roof bitz, more that the person could use plastic card our what ever to make there own details if they wanted.