April 18, 2024, 08:41:30 PM

Author Topic: Dark Elves  (Read 4631 times)

Offline kyussinchains

• Mod
Dark Elves
« on: June 25, 2015, 07:23:33 AM »
I was very lucky last year to lay my hands on a fully painted dark elf army, while it's a bit light on cold one knights (2 units) it's fun to play and I've done okay with it, despite the command rule!

my question is why do people use the dark elves over the high elves given that you need to buy additional heroes as some will almost invariably end up being executed, and you risk the general's leadership dropping if you blunder....

you can proxy the high elf army pretty much perfectly using the dark elf list, so why do people use them as dark elves? is it just for thematic reasons?
Best 6mm site on the net: Tactical command forum

my hobby blog: full of 6mm goodness

Home of Epic: Armageddon on the web

Offline Aquahog

Re: Dark Elves
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 11:07:11 AM »
Cold One Knights are the best cavalry unit in the game for their points. I'll send them frontal charging other knights any day if I have to which makes them easy to maneuver with.

The character rule is characterful, one of the best 'fluff'-based ones in the game and I like to support that (though I do bring the Sceptre of Sovereignity).

Dominion is a brilliant spell.

That being said:
Harpies are horrible against other flyers.
Cold Ones cannot brigade with non-Cold Ones.
I have never tried High Elves.

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 04:18:31 PM »
We're Warmaster players, not Warhammer 40k players. =-P

We don't pore over dataslates and write awful clickbait articles about how to "game the local meta".

So yes, we play underpowered armies or things that are just a little different.  The basic High Elf army is overpowered, BUT if you use the tournament list, it's toned down a bit.  In addition, the Dark Elves get their super powerful close range shooting bonus, which encourages you to get very close to the enemy, but of course, can backfire on you if roll badly!
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline calmacil

• Loc: Nottingham, UK
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 01:56:08 PM »
Overall yes the High Elves are slightly better than Dark Elves.

The DE main advantage is the Cold One Knights. I have 9 units (+1 attack to the front on first rnd, even on a hill .... is very good) that rule has won me lots of games with my Dark Elf army.

Comparing it to the HE tournament list, the HE general costs 180 points (DE gen is 155 with the executioner rules) so this roughly evens out the generals.

Personally i'd be tempted to make a house rule list for DE executioners, corsairs, chariots, new hydra rules, dragon riders

My High Elf opponent has asked about house rules for his dragon princes, phoenix guard and swordmasters :)

Offline Kealios

• Loc: San Jose, CA
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 06:07:32 AM »
The Dark Elves also have amazing short ranged shooting, which can really tear it up!

I'd buy a proxy army, but I cannot locate any proxy Cold Ones that look like the GW models. Everything out there looks wimpy in comparison :P

Offline Aquahog

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 04:58:18 PM »
Oh, and my Dark Elves are commonly voted 'cheesiest' army at the Swedish tournament. Even the time they scored last!

Offline wmchaos2000

• Sir Killalot II for the masses!!! /mvh ola
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 10:21:07 PM »
Oh, and my Dark Elves are commonly voted 'cheesiest' army at the Swedish tournament. Even the time they scored last!
Ehh, 6(!) cold one units, I say no more. ;)

Offline Aquahog

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 12:08:59 PM »
'Only' five the last time it happened.  ;)

Offline andys

• Loc: UK
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2020, 12:24:44 PM »
For those with a 3D printer who might not be aware of this:

https://gumroad.com/moonjammy?fbclid=IwAR2c2wuSDbNllQC4dUOIOe9t8W8IPvmg-jOclhhYAIpojJGerc3sd5HcwJI

The guy is doing Cold One Riders next and they look VERY nice indeed based on the image I've seen.

Offline athensfantasy

• a Greek Warmaster fan in London
    • Loc: London
    • Athens Fantasy Wargaming
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2020, 12:40:21 AM »
those look amazing - I almost wish I did not have the original GW blisters to have an excuse to order them!

Offline andys

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2020, 09:33:58 AM »

Offline andys

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2021, 09:01:18 AM »
Blood Fanatics (Witch Elves) files now added to Moonjammy's offering. Nice!

Offline andys

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2021, 12:04:39 PM »
Blood Queen (Cauldron of Blood) added to the range. Very nice chariot model.