April 25, 2024, 11:45:04 PM

Author Topic: "We're gonna need a bigger thunderhawk..." converting primaris carcharadons  (Read 33886 times)

Offline osjclatchford

• Loc: chigwell, essex, uk
Thanks B!
No gaming no...Just a bit of a tinkering... The troops are from vanguard.

The centurion will be joined by two buddies soon. I'll wait till there's some paint on them...

And the new 40k namely the primaris: wtf is going on with those daffy looking bikes and that clownshoe of an atv...
I've been converting up some atalan jackals(with palanite and scout bitz) into scout bikers out of protest... Lol
2017 Droppod Studios -  A subsidiary of the OSJC

Offline Lord Borak

• Loc: United Kingdom
Haha, not a fan then?!  I actually quite like the bikes. They look seriously chunky. The Quad thing not so much, I'd have preferred that as a guard thing. But hey hum, just don't take it I guess?  ::)

I really like the new Marines that are coming out. Especially the Assault marines. They're just very dynamic. I just which the Veterans with Swords and shields are that dynamic. Why on earth have then stood still?!?! Boooooring!

Offline osjclatchford

Yeah. The assault marines are kinda nice. Should fit in with the intercessor stuff seamlessly to make some rather dynamic guys! Tis a shame the vets are a bit static. I guess they are trying to make them look solid and immovable in the manner of the terminators they're replacing..? Could have had a bit of action to a couple though, a beheading swing of an overhead trust or something. Still who am I to talk. Nearly all my sharks are stationary, posing up a storm. And yeah who am I kidding about the bikes. You know I'll get some! Just not that atv.... Just no...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 07:28:57 AM by osjclatchford »

Offline connahr

• Loc: shropshire
urgh the atv, it's just a tiny bat mobile

those bikes also have no ground clearance so i refuse to beleive they work

given how the primaris were emulating the older legions in arms, armour and structure, i was really hoping for jet bikes
theres no such thing as over kill, its just making sure

Offline osjclatchford

Nah got to disagree there. I'm so glad they aren't jetbikes. As I hate the hover tanks... Funny how polar opinions can be eh?

Offline osjclatchford

heavy done:

god this phone camera is so shit. its not doing the paintjob any favours at all. on this screen theres almost no colour definition of the variation of skintone, or anything really whatsoever... nevermind the lack of focus.

must dig that luminex out again for some real pics soon...

Offline osjclatchford

ok slightly better shots of stuff:

scouts

and the epic gear:

and some scenery i made over 15 years ago now!

based off stuff from wd back in '97!

god I'm old...

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
Very nice!  Love a bit of old school terrain. <3
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Ragsta

• Loc: Edinburgh

You think that makes you feel old huh? I just touched up some Imperial Cruisers that have been with me for 20 years?? No... Please no that can't be right...  :o

Everything is looking great. Oh, and my sympathies regarding photos of toys in general - I've recently started sharing my stuff again after maaaaany moons and I've pretty much given up on the pictures looking like the actual models!   ;D:P

Offline osjclatchford

Yeah, most of my stuff was/is from when it was released originally... I've stripped/ repainted and rebuilt more stuff more times than I can remember now. Been at this (40k)since around '96... That was a lot of hair ago now...

Offline osjclatchford

no no more painted... :( too busy taking pics of stuff I did years ago for the other threads LOL!

so wip shots!

the other two cents:

a couple of rejigged scouts:

and the aforementioned scout bikers:

Offline osjclatchford

shotgun-guy_scout done

and the full squad:

Offline osjclatchford

so here is the first primaris battle-suit done:

I went in a different direction altogether on the back in the end, swapping the archaic looking chunky-dread-powerplant out for a sleeker looking tartaros backplate. these rear shots also show you how the legs were 'stilted' using the mining drill parts from the kit and how I've used reiver pads to not only cover the join, but to continue the armour around the heels and round-out the look of the legs more. like how it is on a redemtor dread or kastelan droid.
All in all, the added height along with the lack of cables and un-needed struts everywhere has led to a sleeker primaris-esque design that fits in rather well with the rest of the marines, the mk5 references adding to the continuity with the troops.

Offline osjclatchford

second centurion done:

as you can see he's got elements of mk3 and cataphractii/tataros about him to really play up the 30k vibes.
the back shows where I used bits of gsc suit and a mk3 backpack to create a funky-tubey-venty bit not native to any specific armour but akin to it nonetheless...
the shoulders are also reinforced with ogryn pads for an overall chunkier feel.
oh and studs because. Studs!

Offline Lord Borak

• Loc: United Kingdom
Those are the best Centurion models I've ever seen........ They have a really cool Iron Man Mk1 feel to them that I dig. Suitably brutal and intimidating look to them.

....and the rest of your marine stuff is great as well.