April 25, 2024, 04:33:36 PM

Author Topic: [WMR]: Direction of retreat if no contact?  (Read 2438 times)

Offline Hammerskelp

• Loc: West Lothian, Scotland
[WMR]: Direction of retreat if no contact?
« on: May 04, 2018, 10:22:21 AM »
Hi
after a combat and casualties are removed, it is possible for no enemy stands to be touching the defeated player's unit.

The rules for the direction of retreat don't specify what to do.   

When this came up,  we worked out the direction based on the situation 'before' stands had been removed as casualties.
- - - - - -
It just occurred to me that this could also be the case for a supporting unit when the unit in front is destroyed.
- - - - -
I mention this more as an observation than a question.
It's easy to do-the-sensible-thing when both players are sensible. :) 
Thoughts?

Offline Aldhick

• The End is nigh
    • Loc: Czech Republic
Re: [WMR]: Direction of retreat if no contact?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 12:26:33 PM »
Good spot. Your solution is indeed is the most convenient one. We can possibly add it to the future FAQ if neccessary. Thanx.
WM - Toomb Kings
My Mordheim guys (and gals)
http://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t2734-aldhick-s-gangs

Offline cjbennett22

• Loc: Grand Rapids, Michigan
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 03:15:48 PM »
Wasn't this situation/problem in the original rulebook as just being able to retreat in any direction away from the enemy?  That's what I have always done.

Offline Lex

• Global Moderator
  • I wonder...
    • Loc: Bergen op Zoom, Netherlands
    • Warmuster . BitzBox
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 07:40:10 AM »
Wasn't this situation/problem in the original rulebook as just being able to retreat in any direction away from the enemy?  That's what I have always done.

No it was ambivalent in vanilla and FAQ-ed. Off the top of my head in the old rules it is: directly away from the most attacks

Offline Dark Omen

• Loc: UK - Midlands
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 11:04:19 PM »
The WM Compendium ruleset (Retreats, page 45, column 2, paragraph 2) clearly states;

"If all of a unit is supporting another, eg. if it is placed in a second line, then none of its stands are touching an enemy. In this case, the friendly supported unit/s determine the direction of retreat. Work out the direction of retreat for the fighting units and then move supporting units back in the same direction. This means fighting and supporting units will effectively move as one, although it will still be necessary to move the units one at a time to make sure that stands have a path to their final position."

I would use this as a guide to working out the direction of retreat for a unit that is no longer in contact with any enemy. So in your example the Retreat would follow the direction of any friendly units in the same combat, or the direction they would have had to retreat in should there be no friendly units left! .