April 19, 2024, 10:02:34 AM

Author Topic: cannon bounce attack number  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Apocolocyntosis

cannon bounce attack number
« on: January 22, 2021, 09:30:24 PM »
As far as i can see this rule is identical in WM and WMR, and concerns cannon bounce attacks.

To amplify the point, consider an unlikely but not impossible situation where  4 units of  1-stand remaining cavalry are lined up and take a cannon shot from the side. The first, target, unit takes the shot, and being only 1 stand in width the 5cm bounce then hits all of the other 3 units, each of 1 stand, next to it

For the target unit, this is clear:
The target unit suffers two attacks plus +1 for each additional stand from the same unit that is bounced through [emphasis mine]
So, being only 1 stand strong as a unit, no extra attack here.
But for the other bounced through:
A shot that bounces into a different unit inflicts one attack on that unit for each stand bounced through.
In this instance it does not state if it is each stand bounced through from the same unit, or just each stand that the bounce has gone through, from however many other units.

This came up in a game.
My reading was that it was 1 hit for each stand per unit of the unit affected in each case.
My opponent's was that it simply says each stand – not per unit. And it does indeed seem odd that it states 'from the same unit' in the first instance and then has noticeably different wording in the second – so i can see the point here.

this is a small difference in wording but a huge difference in outcome, as this means the damage of the shot increase with each separate unit it hits (note: unit, each unit is 1 stand here). You might therefor roll 3 attacks on the unit at the end but only 2 on the one before it.

How are people playing this?

Offline Dave

• Loc: Worcester, MA
    • The Epic Gamer
Re: cannon bounce attack number
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 11:48:32 PM »
Rick Priestly writing, 100 words to confuse you when 50 with a good editor could have worked.

Each unit in the bounce through suffers a number of hits equal to the number of its stands in the bounce through.

Offline Clawlessdragon

• Loc: Kent, England
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 11:43:28 AM »
I done these few images a while ago when I was trying to clarify a different point about how the "bounce" works... Hopefully these make things a little clearer.

Offline cjbennett22

• Loc: Grand Rapids, Michigan
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 10:47:51 PM »
its because of this rule i made myself a nice 5cm long marker and take care to tally up all attacks BEFORE rolling anything.  it can get confusing for your opponent, take it easy on them.  HA

Offline Apocolocyntosis

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 08:46:41 PM »
thanks for the replies all, helpful for clearing things up  :)