March 28, 2024, 04:37:29 PM

Author Topic: [WM] furtive warmastering  (Read 11088 times)

Offline Apocolocyntosis

[WM] furtive warmastering
« on: May 01, 2018, 09:31:24 PM »
been very slowly starting a small high elf force. Not that i play warmaster, nono, no new scales for me, er …

The distressing thing is how few points that is. Seems WM is a game with a surprisingly high mini count

probably reavers next, while i track down some helms, although i'm not really looking forward to doing horses
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 09:58:08 PM by Apocolocyntosis »

Offline marell le fou

Re: furtive warmastering
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 11:09:34 PM »
Hey, you did well  if it's the first time you paint Wm stuff. This army is really nice ! Do you have adversaries ?

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • Loc: Worcester, MA
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 07:13:08 AM »
It is a small point count, but your characters will range from 350 to 530 without upgrades in a 2k. Lots of points for 3-5 stands/models.

Great painting.

Offline Geep

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 09:18:07 AM »
Excellent painting. I wouldn't worry too much about points- Elves will eat them up in no time once you start getting into fancier things  :P

Offline Apocolocyntosis

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 06:08:25 PM »
thanks chaps.  Yes, first warmaster, but I paint a lot of 6mm. Finding 10mm significantly harder.
(Or at least first since I painted a BOFA Smaug in 2005 … he may become a dragon rider for this force)

I do not have adversaries, only been playing online. So far for warmaster I've picked up about 500pts of dwarf and empire bits and have about 1000pt in high elves now (+my old unloved BOFA box set contents that I never used). Looking to expand elves to 1500 and then ideally start a demon army. Plenty of sculpting and conversion options for nurgle, but doubt ill ever actually get round to them!

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
Re: [WM] furtive warmastering
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 03:35:19 PM »
The fiddliest Elves to paint I find are the chariots.  You'll find Silver Helms at 110 points a pop will eat up the points quick enough!  Two heroes, two wizards is 340 points just for four stands for HE.  And the General is 180 points even if you don't count the dragon he rides. = P
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Apocolocyntosis

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 05:48:32 PM »
limping along still … still not at 500pts … Swordmasters and reaver units done. Phoenix guard next next.

Are reavers any use in game? I like the sculpts but compared to units like pistoliers, reavers seem a bit lacking.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 05:50:28 PM by Apocolocyntosis »

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • Loc: Worcester, MA
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 06:42:54 PM »
Those look great Apoc.

The Reavers keep pace with the Silver Helms and Chariots better, I use them to shoot out support or to get 1cm behind something that's been charged.

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 10:46:42 PM »
Great painting, as always.

Reavers are still more cavalry unit to align. And it's still 6 shots on 12 centimetres. With a high command, they can be placed where they must be. Shooters are always better used with a high command.

Offline Apocolocyntosis

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 09:04:12 PM »
slow progress continues, but the phoenix guard are almost ready to join the ranks. Going to start hunting for the second spearman command variant to finish the brigade.

Had some fun with reavers in a couple of games following the suggestions above and they performed well … but possibly only comparatively as any 'knight'-stat units I take in any race at present seem to fail orders non stop  ;D

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2018, 10:48:14 PM »
They are really, really great.

What i like most is the strange colour you used for the base of the sprues. Sort of greenish i would never had chosen myself. But it suits the blue very well.

Offline adamsg01

• Loc: Australia
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 11:23:10 AM »
Beautifully painted Apocolocyntosis. How will you finish the bases?

I really need to finish off my High elves also. Thx for the inspiration.

Keep up the good work
cheers

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 09:06:44 PM »
Love the banners!
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Apocolocyntosis

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2018, 01:07:55 PM »
'Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days' Huh, been a while then …
In the background i've been very making slow progress on painting elf cav, and faster progress on buying up lots of WM.
My phone's also become useless for taking mini photos for reasons I can't work out, but i've just tried with an old bridge camera so here's to the start of more WM painting over Christmas!

I've painted 2 units of dragon princes which im not that keen on, and now working on 2 units of silver helms to finish a heavy cav brigade, hopefully done in the next couple of days:

Also got some demons to play with … in the unlikely event anyone has some seekers, screams or khorne hounds available let me know! Test plaguebearer

Offline Doomkitten

• Loc: NJ
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2018, 08:49:21 AM »
I've seen a lot of your stuff before, but it's still great to see some lovely elves completed.

I'll use this as inspiration to make efforts to paint something to some day give you a fight now that I've finally picked up a brush again!

Keep posting the inspiration! Army shots soon, right? :D